Yes, the Trump effect. Yes, the exchange rate. Yes, the general sentiment from some Americans towards Latinos. Still, Mexicans keep traveling to the United States. Not all around the country, that’s true, but (1) New York remains as one of our top 5 destinations when traveling abroad, according to Kayak. Why? Because (2) New York City represents everything we wish from a leisure travel destination: entertainment, culture, white winters, history, and of course, status. Yup, we Mexicans love to travel to places that give us status among our friends and family. We love to brag and share in social media, (3) so we make great ambassadors without even trying!
Other motives to keep Mexican travelers in mind when planning your 2019 marketing-communication strategy and budget are:
- NYC & Company forecasts a 4.2% growth in Mexicans visiting New York City in 2018, compared to 2017. So, there’s an upward trend that most likely continue in 2019.
- In 2018, 40% of Mexicans decided to travel abroad while 60% vacationed internally. While these are already good numbers that represent a big opportunity, you should consider that this year was particularly different because two big events took place:
- FIFA World Cup: Mexicans are huge soccer enthusiasts, so 44,000 Mexicans traveled to Russia. Yes, Mexico is the country that had more fans at the sports event.
- Presidential Elections: every six years, when we get to choose our new President, there’s a drop in overall spent due to the uncertainty this change can bring. After the results come out, everything gets back to normal.
- (6) We spend more than 3,000 USD per trip (according to the Mexico Tourism Board, MTB). Our average trip length is 7 days, mainly family trips and then individual, according to the same source.
- (7) Broad range of travelers’ ages and travel seasons: the young (millennials) travel a lot in the summer because they have school vacations. But Gen Xs, like me, tend to travel on shoulder or low season. And we have more money! (according to Reservamos.mx, online platform that compares flight prices).
- (8) The most important airline in Mexico (Aeromexico) and the 3 low cost Mexican airlines (Interjet, Volairs and Vivaerobus) have direct flights to NYC. Not to mention other international airlines that also have direct flights or stops from Mexico.
- (9) 8.5 million people make up the LGBTQ market in Mexico and they spend more than a billion USD in travel every year, especially in luxurious goods and services, as well as entertainment (Broadway plays, World Pride, etc.).
At PR Central we’d love to work together with you to create a communication strategy that gets you more business from our compatriot Mexican travelers. Please contact me and let’s chat! Alethia García, email@example.com